When I was staring out in my career as an illustrator and graphic designer some 17 years ago, I was once told by a client that I tuned his sketch on a napkin into gold. He couldn’t believe it and was extremely grateful. Similar scenarios have come over the years and I take pride in fleshing-out my client’s ideas to their final intended form.
Working simultaneously in two different fields as a production artist and as a patent draftsman, I was able to blend these skills together to produce detail-oriented designs in a timely and cost-effective manner. Exceeding the client’s expectations is paramount to me as an artist, and I strive to provide a quality product at a reasonable price. Whether it’s a new type of patentable device, a business logo, a flyer for a band, or a multi-page booklet, I am no stranger to many of today’s design trends and processes.
Lead Designer / Senior Graphic Artist [SEPI Marketing, Inc.] Oct. 18, 2004 – Sept. 2018
- Responsible for creating print and digital travel guides as well as advertisements from initial design to final publishing.
- Responsible for the majority of higher-tier creative projects such as resorts, chambers of commerce, logo design, tradeshow banners, etc.
- Coordinated with nationwide sales and management teams on high-priority projects
- Process and submission of art department prepress work to the press
- Aided the print shop crew with prepress and digital-to-plate production
- Creation and management of website content / graphics library
- Aiding art department staff in implementing new design technologies and techniques
- Interviewed, instructed, and mentored new hires
- Troubleshoot technical problems as well as various office IT duties
- Creation and implementation of new departmental standards
- Managed my own workflow to meet critical deadlines
Patent Draftsman & Freelance Graphic Services [Luke Steward Design Services] Mar. 2001 – Present
- Works closely with patent attorneys, patent agents, and clients to create technical illustrations for filing with the U.S. Patent & Trademark Office
- Aids inventors in refining technical details and overall appearance of invention
- Preparation of logos for submission to the USPTO
- Advise attorneys and clients on strict USPTO standards
- Graphic, web, and animation design for various legal and entrepreneurial clients
- Various flyers for web and print, business cards, courtroom animations, flow charts
- Design of vehicle wraps and die-cuts
[The Art Institute of Fort Lauderdale] – Florida Bachelor of Science in Media Arts and Animation – March 23, 2003
- Extremely proficient in Adobe InDesign, Illustrator, Acrobat and Photoshop Creative Suites on both Mac and PC
- Proficient in traditional/digital printing process, prepress, EFI, and print shop operations
- A natural problem solver and troubleshooter – quick and curious learner
- Technical illustration – extremely detail oriented
- WordPress web design & HTML coding
Awards and Honors
- Award of Excellence in Design presented by SEPI Marketing Sales Managers – 2011
- Outstanding Employee of the Year, SEPI Marketing – 2007-Present